Professor Anatoly Mikhailovich Sagalevich was born on September 5th 1938. He is a Russian explorer, who works at the Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of the Russian Academy of Sciences since 1965.
Since 1979 he is the director of the Russian Deepwater Submersibles Laboratory. He received Doctor of Sciences degree in 1985.
Sagalevich took part in the construction of Pisces VIII, Pisces IX and MIR Deep Submergence Vehicles (DSV) and completed more than 300 submersions as the chief pilot of DSVs. Between 1989 and 2005 he led 28 expeditions on MIR DSV.
He was the pilot of MIR during expeditions to RMS Titanic, Bismarck, Soviet submarine K-278 Komsomolets, I-52, Russian submarine K-141 Kursk.
Sagalevich holds the world record for the deepest fresh water dive, at 1,637 meters (5,371 ft) (in Lake Baikal aboard a Pisces in 1990).
On August 2nd 2007 Sagalevich was the pilot of MIR-1 DSV that reached the seabed at the North Pole during Arctic expedition in 2007.
On January 10, 2008 Anatoly Sagalevich was awarded the title Hero of the Russian Federation for Courage and heroism showed in extreme conditions and successful completion of High-Latitude Arctic Deep-Water Expedition.
• Order of Lenin - for MIR-1 and MIR-2 creation
• Order of the Badge of Honor - for deepwater research of Lake Baikal
• Order of Courage - for special underwater operations on Soviet submarine K-278 Komsomolets
• Lowell Thomas Award- for valuable contribution into conducting deepwater ocean research in the 20th century.
• 2007 Adventurer of the Year award from prestigious Los Angeles Adventurers´ Club for Arctic dive to North Pole.
• 2008 The William Beebe Award The Explorers Club
• 2009 The Ralph White Award from The Explorers Club
• Sagalevich, Anatoly M.; Isley III, Paul T. (2009). The Deep. Voyages to Titanic and Beyond. Botanical Press. ISBN 9780981701004.
1. Сагалевич Анатолий Михайлович (All-Photo.Ru)
2. Deep Ocean Expeditions
4. Президент России | Указ «О награждении государственными наградами Российской Федерации»
5. The Explorers Club
6. Презентации книги Героя России, д.т.н. Анатолия Михайловича Сагалевича
Production & design: Creativ, Novi mediji d.o.o.